Friday, October 28, 2011

That's How He Redefined It!


It's the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge - Albert Einstein 

Chilled evening rain with its patter sneaking in my ears, scattering the audio bits of Wuthering Heights. My ears spiced up by the voice of Juliet Stevenson with the intonations and stress patterns flaring up the weight of the words, the weight of the semantics, the weight of the literariness! The language lab window across my chair was ajar allowing the short whispers of breeze to horn in. But I could hear, conjure up, feel, the white husky whispers of the scorching dew fall to which the benumbed "fixed" Heathcliff must have remained unmoved, leaning against the old ash tree, growing ferocious by Catherine's death news - savagely howling - chapter sixteen- I repeat it till my tongue stiffens - Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living;...I CANNOT live without my life! I CANNOT live without my soul!


He was on his chair, up the small platform at the far end of the lab completely enwrapped in some book, most probably some science-fiction, his favourite genre. "Do not rely only on film adaptations. Images and visual impact disperse the essence of linguistic aspects, it will only help you to know the story". Where as the audio is a different experience, you can savour the enticing charm of the syntax, evincing the raw beauty of the dialogues, the fairness of the narration... Yes he is right. How can he be ever wrong in here! Many evenings I have spent here, in this lab, the "Beyond the syllabus Program" as he named it. An initiative in which he was the sole sustainer from its very commencement to the close. A good student always goes "beyond the syllabus", new pastures waiting to be grazed! Language lovers from all departments came. Some appreciated it and highly benefited from it. Some doubted its use (madly in love with ignorance!). Some became "regular users", some "occasional visitors". He never compelled anyone. Compulsion was a displeasing word in his "word collection". It was completely voluntary. It was for the pupils who seek improvement, who have the zest for knowledge, for refinement, who have the genuine likeness for this subject, not for the ones- the girls who see it as a pretty option before entering into the marriage market. Numerous world class audio lectures, audio books, a plethora of knowledge, of information, an audio treat, a literary feast! He was incredible for me. Charismatic! The passion he has for teaching! The clarity and depth of his knowledge! The focused lectures ("talks" to be precise than "lectures"), focused yet vast- one hour- a journey from age to age- from Romantic to Victorian -right back to Elizabethan- sliding down to Medieval. Spontaneous sly puns embedded in satire, sarcasm, yet tender! "Knavish speeches which sleep in foolish ears"! And the Audio Clubs! How can I ever forget those Friday afternoons in my life! How he could elicit the rapture of language learning by songs! Took an idea, a theme- subtle ideas which usually fail to poke our attention...related it to a bunch of songs- then it to the realities around us. Vocabulary building! Another venture. Taught us that words have stories to tell, the "etymology" which otherwise would have bored us. 


I would go on pages and pages on his activities. He showed me how much a teacher can do! For me it became a path for "discovering" myself. He was never an influence. The aura of inspiration he has formed cannot be encompassed or be confined to an "influence". He showed us the lands to toil in it, made us understand how fertile it is, made us greedy for its fruition, how the saltiness of sweat in our brows would taste! And when he "retired" the very word would have shriveled and felt the shame, it would have wanted to drown itself somewhere for ever from the dictionary. Retirement? For him? Busier than ever before with his "extra readings" (as he calls it) and social activities. Inventing and contributing efficient methods of language learning for the dumb and deaf. What's more noble than that? A true teacher, who disliked to be photographed, who abhorred the showy and the braggarts...!


It is said that the best teacher is the one who can inspire. And when I copy pasted that Einstein quote at the beginning I have done it with such a gratification and blessed feeling. I am sure there would be a teacher who must have swept your feet off in every one of your lives. A teacher who illuminated some corner of our soul, leaving a part of them, ever enkindling our growing sensibilities. Who have "awakened joy in learning". And what we have towards them is not mere admiration and respect. The word "gratitude" can bear no corruption to a limit. Let's remember them and be grateful to them with all its purity and faithfulness in this corrupt world!  

19 comments:

  1. By the way, faithfulness and purity can be found in the love and fear of Allah. If U love Taqwa you got it all. And the best teacher is your personal experience of life.
    Going beyond syllabus indicates good studentship, provided the real focus stays undisturbed.
    And yes, a teacher has to be of inspirational quality in order to be charismatic. Bur this is God gifted indeed.
    Very inspiring post –NASNIN.
    My new article is ready; please visit to get boredom out of it.
    Put your purified/ or a fried comment. DHAMAKAY DAAR one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!
    You had said a million here.. but only the first para, that which was supposed to be an icing remains in my mouth to savor, Heathcliff! just doesn't go off right?

    Certain words you used in a different sense just amused me.. like "madly in love with ignorance" the way you explained about retirement.. I wont say that you are improving.. that would be bad.. just keep going like this... never change! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a literary genius, dear Nasnin, and this writing is just one small sample of that statement! :)

    I have to admit that your *brilliance* is too grand for my brain sometimes ~ it goes 'whoosh' right over my head :))

    With that being said, you do challenge me to dig deeper and as I read your writings many times (such as this one), I find more treasures in every paragraph :)

    I found myself falling in love with the last para ~ beautifully penned, dear!! It truly captures the essence of the previous ones and I loved the Einstein opening quote!

    This is a wonderful writing about a teacher who inspired you beyond depths and when you mentioned the retirement, this thought came to mind: They say everyone is replaceable and that is true in the physical sense, but I believe that many are irreplaceable in the mental (intelligence) and emotional levels. The recent passing of Steve Jobs comes to mind ... will any of his successors match his genius? I do have my doubts. In this life there are simply some people that have shoes no one can fit in to.

    "Knavish speeches which sleep in foolish ears"! ~ Loved that!

    A wonderful read and a tribute to "A teacher who illuminated some corner of our soul, leaving a part of them, ever enkindling our growing sensibilities." ~ Love that line also!

    Thank you for this awesome post, dear lady! :) x0x

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. ~ Oops, I wrote a book :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a noble salutation to a brilliant teacher, who did awake joy in creative expression and knowledge in not just his students, but even in me who reads his brilliant student!

    I am spellbound my dear Nasnin, you have inspired me tremendously .. made me realise the fertlity of the lands to be tilled upon.. Joy in learning is incomparable to none.. my classroom and professors who instilled the same joy in me, flashed before my inner eye.. and dont you know, I sat with you in the language lab, felt the "white husky whispers.." (what a lovely expression and how well you related the lab feel to the audio and Heathcliff!!!) and got goosebumps at the "raw beauty of the dialogues"..

    Most of all I got a silhouette vision of the great teacher leaning on a chair holding a science fiction book and plunging into it.. at the same time spreading his aura around and how an awed young student inspired and thrilled at the treat of vocabulary and the literature charm :)

    Love you Nasnin.. I just love your scribblings.. specially this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are blessed to have someone so inspiring in your life and he is lucky to have a student like you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Tariq Mian: Thanks a lot:-) Happy that you found it inspiring! Read your post. Very Informative:-)

    @KP: The first para was really for the icing as you said...to connect that feel:-) Heathcliff never goes from my mind! Thanks sweety! Love and regards:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Fiona: I am blushed and so greatly touched by your small book here...:-)

    "In this life there are simply some people that have shoes no one can fit in to."...That's it!

    "Knavish speeches which sleep in foolish ears"! is a Shakespeare quote! Me too loved it:-)

    Thanks a ton for such a beautiful comment here my sweet lady! It means a lot to me and it's highly encouraging:-) My wishes and regards! Lots of love:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Pygma: I am so lucky to have a brilliant reader like you...So much engaged in each post and drawing such deep inferences from it! You are an excellent critic! I don't know how to convey it...your interpretations always give me goosebumps...so delighted:-) Love:)

    @Smee: Thanks a lot dear...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful post, so much to learn and so much to ponder. First paragraph is finely worded. You write with a charm which is hard to find these days. BTW I love Wuthering Heights...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Taught us that words have stories to tell, "....
    Now I know the GOD behind such perfectly penned words!
    I totally agree with Fiona, you truly are a literary genius; and now i have better facts to underpin it with after reading this post.

    YOU are so right, a real teacher makes us graze the un-grazed land, to charter the uncharted , he/she makes us the challenge our potential..there are no limits and there are no compulsions!

    coz what is that beauty which is restricted?
    And i believe too that each one us has a teacher, a mentor who has guided us to reach our unfathomable depths..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Firstly, many thanks for visiting and subsequently following my blog, it is much appreciated :o)

    Secondly, sheer brilliance, you write so well!! I'm feeling privileged that you even stopped by my blog!! wow.

    Its a truly amazing feeling when you find someone, a teacher, a friend, someone that helps generate that special something, that special connection that keeps you enthrawled with a longing desire to learn, achieve and question.

    Thank you very much for sharing. I will be back

    Paul

    Poetic Sauce

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had a lovely teacher at school who I admired, I was so surprised when 6 years later when I had just married and my husband introduced me to his best friends mam! Yes it was the teacher I had so looked up to! She became a good friend. Unfortunately she has now passed away but I still remember her. Karima

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Saru: Thanks dear...happy:-)

    @Stuti: Can't help admiring teachers(the sincere ones)...and as you said in a way some of them are GODS! Thanks Stuti...feels so glad to hear such compliments from such a good writer like you:-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Paul: Thanks a lot:-) Wanted to meet the new friend in my page! You are welcome here! Thanks for those lovely words:-)

    @Karima: That's a touching tale! Teachers are in a way good friends...you would be missing her a lot I guess...;) Thanks for dropping by:-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A lovely post! You have a great teacher..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for dropping by:-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A great read Nasnin.. Very sorry for my delayed response.. Was completely caught up with so many things...

    Whatte way to pay a tribute to a teacher?!! Your expressions are awesome and your usage of words kept me spellbound. Loved the term "madly in live with ignorance". And the audio club is a novel way to elicit the language. Even I do it many times, but none taught me this idea though :)

    Great read Nasnin. Take care.

    Cheers,
    Anand.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Anand! And no need for that sorry and all:) Time is a big challenge! Thanks for that lovely compliment:-)Regards:-)

    ReplyDelete