Wednesday, December 7, 2011

And why do we meet such people?


Sometimes I feel that my life is just a flash back, that I am out there in that future with these memories twirling me back to this space, that I have already known you! Do you remember that cold night? We were sitting outside, my toes pressed in the soft grass, fingers twitching against its coldness; rifting water drops in between the green blades. I was narrating Woody Allen’s Vicky Christina Barcelona. You said you adored that man with that thick black frame, his raw talent and egotism. You said you have fascination for someone “different”, just because they are “different”. Our families’ subdued noise of laughter, loosened conversations and undulating arguments after the hangover of a typical friendly dinner oozing out from the house just felt like an uninteresting movie playing in the background. We didn’t see the stars. We didn’t see the moon. The breeze was not emotional enough to move the leaves. You told me to narrate the story in every detail, that you love detailing so much. You said I am a good story teller. I said you are a good listener. We complimented each other. So special to each other. Vivacious smiles, laughter, wonder, never pausing for what to say next, never disrupted by silence. Words slipping, stretching themselves, and slithering out of our mouths, it rolled and sparked and ablazed the air around us. It’s as if I have watched that movie in a lonely feverish afternoon, lying in my couch only to narrate it to you. I shook your hand and doubted if you were something illusionary. You said how you enjoy non-entities and abstractions. I said how I long to concretize those abstractions. You said you won’t usually put the lights on until the sun completely sinks into the ocean because you want the last of the rays to be fallen on your floor. You said you loved gloomy tree tops with their distant fragile looking branches and dreamt of painting one with a naked woman lying on it, with her flowing frizzy hair tightly entangled with the top boughs. There will be tinctures of orange, grey and blue, colors spilled and smeared in profusion in the sky, with some whiteness of the paper eying out. You talked about your crush with Vermeer and his interior lightning and Girl with the Pearl Earring. It was all too much for me to take in together. I told you to gulp down your words since it’s snatching away all that I want to say.

Why do we meet such people? Like two similar fishes colliding in an upsurging wave, being grabbed by an unknown hand, to be out in the air, amused, wriggled, only to dive backward to swim their own ways.  

I used to draw only blood dripping bird wings, broken glass pieces and barren trees when I was small. What did you draw when you were small? Did you have too much colours, vibrant and variegated? Do you have some bright shades with you so that I can mix it with my dark ones? Do you have silence? Do you have sorrow? My sorrow left my body, to make me “drab and destitute” and lurks somewhere in the dark, just to be back when you leave me. My silence lost its path, dejected, crestfallen and weeping; it’s no longer “a silence”.  I didn’t want to play hide and seek because the moments you are in hiding would be the longest ones to me. I didn’t want to seek because I would hurt something by my “intentional indifference” to the things hidden by intentions. My heart would get lacerated. I have to pretend that it’s not my heart at all. And it’s hard to pretend that something is not mine when it’s undeniably and pathetically mine, mine and only mine!

There is an idea of Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gave, and you can shake my hand and feel the flesh gripping yours and may be even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable…I simply am not there.

34 comments:

  1. Nasnin, I love the way you play magic with words and most incongruous things suddenly start having a lot of meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are tinged with bitter sweet emotions Nasnin... beautifully crafted to create meaning. I like the whole fish and wave scenario you have penned down. Creative.
    Sad but true.. We dont have the answers to all of life's questions do we? Life goes on... the only answer we need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lifes great mysteries eh! Why do we walk past so many people in the street yet one day we talk to a complete stranger like we've known them all our lives.. Those smallest random encounters unlike any other where you choose to speak, choose to listen rather than choose to walk away. Is it energy, chemistry, probability. Well you say it perfectly... "Like two similar fishes colliding in an upsurging wave, being grabbed by an unknown hand, to be out in the air, amused, wriggled, only to dive backward to swim their own ways"

    Another excellent well written post.. You just keep on pulling excellent pieces of writing out of the bag.. brilliant stuff!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Rahul Sir, you create magic and take us to another world. Amazing narration:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although it's hard for me to choose a favorite post of yours, I will have to say that this IS my favorite, so far! WoW!

    My eyes floated effortlessly through every line of spectacular imagery that you painted in front of me! I have read this several times now but can't extract one line as a favorite either! Each sentence is exquisitely crafted with perfection and precision. Sheer brilliance again, my dear Nasnin :)

    When I come to your posts, I always feel like I've selected a book on a shelf, opened it somewhere in the middle and caught a glimpse of an undiscovered professional writer. It's a privilege to be your 'audience'.

    Thanks for sharing your talent with us ~ much love :)

    P.S. ~ Did I say that I absolutely LOVED this? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaahhh...i love it...'I am simply not there'...the abstractions, the non existence...impeccable!

    My favourite : "Why do we meet such people? Like two similar fishes colliding in an upsurging wave, being grabbed by an unknown hand, to be out in the air, amused, wriggled, only to dive backward to swim their own ways. "...If only i could answer this why...

    your writing just weaves a dreamy illusion around me, an illusion that seems to like me :)..impeccable again

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dont know where to start.. for I have started loving your words more than you.. though the words were the first and only way in which I know you! The way in which you have used the "you" speaks not only to me directly, but also to some one far behind.. and by the end of it, like you I am also longing! That is the beauty of those words..!!

    I cant and dont want to say more.. let those words remain undisturbed and pure.. I would sink into it when ever I feel..

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so easily and beautifully playing with words Nasnin.
    Astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am spellbound yet again by the majesty of your dreamy words of magic, myth and beauty!
    Nansnin dear, "I told you to gulp down your words since it’s snatching away all that I want to say." - wah wah!

    when together we blend and complete, share and fill.. yet once gone, we realise how much more was left to be known.. those thoughts like "what did you draw... "

    'me and myself' Ah! all an illusion.. but your words arent! it is as real as the sky, the waters, the wind, the fire and the earth.. though you just arent there .. but in our hearts!!!
    you are such a darling.. love, pygma

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Rahul Bhatia: Thanks a ton! Most delighted to hear it from people like you:) Regards:)

    @Dee: Thanks dear! Sought out answers would sprout further questions...and it's an endless string isn't it? Exactly! Thanks a lot:)

    @Paul: Every time there will be a "brilliant" in your feedback! How that word resonates! Hope that my posts do justice to such great appreciations! It's such a pleasure to have you here:) Regards:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Saru: Thanks dear...you never fail to be here and pat me with your feedbacks! Thanks for all these encouragements:) Love:)

    @Fiona: Lady Fiona to Princess Fiona! The princess' passion for bringing a full bloom smiles to people's heart make you a true Princess! Thanks dear...nothing soothes me like sweetest words and sincere compliments:) Lots and lots of love:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Stuti: "Why did I meet you" dear? Your recent post is nagging me to ask this question over and over:) It's one of the finest grains..."gigantic" to be called a grain:)

    @KP: 'It's only words and words are all I have to take your heart away!'...you don't need to say more...I could sense that feeling behind your genuine words...my dearest KP:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Ashok: Thanks a lot for the visit:)

    @Bagya: Thanks dear for dropping by...happy! Happy:)

    @Pygma: Deja vu! It's such a wonderful word which carries such an enigmatic feeling! ...And my happiness is boundless when I see that such a feeling just came across you here...:) You are such a "dangerous" interpreter Pygma (if "dangerous" attributes less sour connotations)! I know you got what I meant! LOve sweet heart:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. very thoughtful words from you. nice sharing. should seize and learn from you. keep writing :)

    have a great day :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for the visit! I think I should checkout your page:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. well...yes now i remember...i know you... yes i was reading your blogs and admiring your writings...and you were saying that i am just being generous :)

    i think this is called quantum physics... that somewhere in the universe the same particles combine to form the same shape and same settings...so who knows...yes that was very abstract...i read it around 10 times and then thought oh...this was abstract... :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the way how you relate things!
    "...and you were saying that i am just being generous"...when did I say that Israr? And 10 times! WOW...how cruel of me!
    Thanks for that quantum physics! You made me read on it and I don't know how much my "feather-brain" could conceive the idea...but I really liked the abstractness there! Thanks a lot...next time I hope you would count around 15...he he! Unpredictable scientist:)Regards:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. magical effect is always found in your posts.
    The emotionality is worded very beautifully.
    Nasnin! Your are invited to come over with your magic.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much! Will definitely go through your new post when time allows me! How can I miss it:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You talented girl. And you say I write wonderfully. Sigh. I really don't know what kind of praise to shower on you, I am short of words. You make me think.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You do write wonderfully Zeba! And you have no idea how your words make me happy:) Love:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. i loved the article.....some sentences made me think about...its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks a lot..so glad to hear that:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW! I just could not take off my eyes from the screen. Well crafted!
    You have used the words so well. Emotions are running high and It is such a poignant description.

    Love
    http://www.meghasarin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks dear...had a look at your page...Nice blog you have:) Thanks for the visit and the comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. its really nice dear.. way 2 go girl..... it reminded me of myself at some point of time....... truly amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks dear...:)There is a kind of satisfaction when it comes to know that someone can identify with these scribbles...cheers!

    ReplyDelete