Monday, November 28, 2011

Distractions


Everything in the room looked dislocated and chaotic due to my days of negligence. Dust to be wiped off, things to be replaced and trashes to be thrown out. When was the last time I had stuck something on my walls? There are no more hangings, faces and childish sketches to décor my fantasies and distract the solidities. Stop searching for the colours, certain combinations won’t work out! Roots and Shadows was sitting precariously on a pile of other junks with its frayed edges brownish and shabby. “Mini” stepped into my memory somedays back, at the day before her marriage, my cousin sister’s. The bride was taking in that air of acceptance just like any other girl, persistently smiling smiling smiling until her cheeks getting that dirty tweak. She seemed to have plunged herself into that image of Mini in these pages. “Behind the façade of romanticism, sentiment, and tradition, what was marriage after all, but two people brought together after cold blooded bargaining to meet, mate and reproduce so that generation might continue”. I don’t know how the jewels, garish bangles and flashy dhuppattas becomes the center of focus, excitement and sole sensation for a girl to make over the dry dry agreements and conditions behind it.  “It was the marriage that mattered not the man.” It was the marriage that mattered! For her? “We like our women not to think”. We would probably wish for a fresh delicate blossom, delicately looking, ever sustaining that delicacy, seldom swayed with all its delicateness, indelicate to wither its beauty so soon. And it’s not so difficult to prune and domesticate even the wildest ones which have the tradition and legacy of submissiveness in their gene. I wish all blossoms had some thorns in their very petals;)

 I have my leaking nose and aching throat with their seasonal conspiracy with each other motivated by the windy rain being battered right over my face. I should divert my attention to some willing distractions to avoid the pain. I chose The Boy in Striped Pyjamas to content me enough. The midnight quietness across the hall was shuffled and waggled by the boys’ slow pitch exchanges between the thorny fence. “They smell worse when they burn, don’t they? They smell worse when they burn don’t they? They smell…” One line glued to one end of my conscience, swallowing the subsequent scenes. I have this occasional premonition of being in that moment just before when you are going to get burnt alive! Alive with so many others packed together, getting nauseated by their sweat, being claustrophobic, hungry for a bit of air. A fear added to man's primal fear of snake, height and darkness. I promised myself to stop the watch right before Bruno finally getting burnt with the boy in striped pyjamas. The mother’s wailing would call for other distractions to appease myself. I didn't keep my promise. Hence this distraction of wrestling with the keyboard to stack out some thoughts, helter- skelter, like clothes spread out in “drying-combination” to get some sunlight! I really don't know why am I posting this. I got used to posting so much that not to post something is a distraction. Now Pardon me for this deliberate distraction here:)


24 comments:

  1. Nasneen, Your post reminds me of a saying that not doing anything is also doing something! We rarely get occasions to not do anything!. So cherish these moments, they do not come often!The choice of your words leaves awestruck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing style is so pleasing to the heart. And this is not doing nothing. This is time well spent if such a post is produced. :-) Distraction is but a state of mind. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There you did it again.. your views, your health.. your wish.. your thoughts everything are spread out here.. and I was nodding along when I read the first para..!
    Marriage is about marriage and the pride of the family..! and nothing else..
    those are some strong views dear..! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read somewhere:'To get out of an obsession, make another one!' So are distractions.. one to the other to the other and such stray thoughts are fine tapestries of originality and it shines..

    Delightful Distraction indeed.. lots of love Nasnin..

    And about marriage, I was thinking these days about whether it be a deliberate option.. hope I will write and post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make distraction so attractive, dear Nasnin! Sort of similar to Stuti making listlessness look smashing on her :D

    I was shaking my head in the first para about "the marriage that mattered not the man"! Oh, the mentality and yet it happens! :-) I can see them heading straight to "Divorce Court" (a television show in the U.S. where couples choose to air their dirty 'divorces') :D

    I am reading Pygma's quotation about obsession and, again, thinking to myself that she still has that hidden camera somewhere in my house, because this is exactly what I do ha ha! Welcome to my world!!

    A most delightful distraction, indeed, my dear! Feel free to get distracted here on a regular basis ;)

    Lots of Love to You :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Behind the façade of romanticism, sentiment, and tradition, what was marriage after all, but two people brought together after cold blooded bargaining to meet, mate and reproduce so that generation might continue"...my favourite!

    My littered thoughts coalesce finely with that one statement..:)

    And true,the practices in vogue have become so futile that they leave me disillusioned. They are not just futile they are at most times despicable. And more rampant in the 'educated' class. And here I am not talking about dowry and the cliches. I am talking about the vain and extravagant practices basically to 'show off'...IS not exchanging vows enough an investiture for a marriage (sometimes that falters too though)? Is this institution really sacrosanct? at least to being with...Anyway, pardon me for the rant here..

    As for your distraction, I can understand this state too well...but as someone told me once that this is the wisest state to be in..and after reading your post I can already see the testimony of that statement made:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Fiona: should I be expecting a 'smashing' grain of sand as the next style you address me with :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Distraction?
    This was thorough in a hidden way!
    You mentioned so many things stored away in the words.
    Beautiful!
    Hpe your nose sorts out soon.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Rahul Bhatia: Thanks dear:) "Not doing anything is also doing something!" Loved it! I have heard it somewhere before but forgot to make use of it at the right moments! Thanks for making me remember that quote:) Regards:):)

    @Zeba: Wow dear...such lovely words:)And yes...distraction is a state of mind...and we feel to write when we are most distracted na! Love and regards:)Keep visiting! I value your words so much:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @KP: Thanks sweet heart! It's always a vain effort from my part to depersonalize what I write. It's becoming more and more personal...almost like a diary:p And you people are spoiling me like this:p Thanks for all these love:)

    @Pygma: I think I am in a wheel of obsessions:) Like anyone! Impatiently waiting for your post on marriage! Come on dear...Spurt out your fried views! Love ya:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Fiona: Stuti and me are misplaced twins! Her post on listlessness came to my mind the second after I posted this one! And you again sensed the same air:)I am wishing for more and more distraction to distract you all on a regular basis:) But it's so unpredictable:) Thanks dear...for this tons of love you are sending me:)

    @Stuti: Your favourite was the quote from 'Roots and Shadows'! I have jotted it down the moment I read it because "My littered thoughts coalesce finely with that one statement" as you said!
    And I just loved and loved your rant there! So true! Thanks dear for this wonderful(I know how that word sounds so ordinary now a days, peel off that cliche)comment:) Love and regards:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Nas: Thanks a lot dear:) Happy to see you and your sweet appreciation! Regards:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meet and mate...LOL I couldn't stop laughing at it...Hope you are better now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i am not sure what you were aiming at telling us...its not that its bad i liked the abstractness ...the thoughts running through your mind and so deeply analysed...gr8 twisty use of words that made me think on every line.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Saru: he he...it's the quote dear:)Regards Saru:))

    @Guilty conscience: Hope that the too much of abstractness haven't distracted you here:) Thanks dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wish all blossoms had some thorns in their very petals;)...

    You described the distractions in a beautiful way..nice one..:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. well the boy in striped pyjama is so tragic and i think its depicted that what ever we so, we shall reap sooner or later...

    yes weddings are sort of bargaining..i have seen engagments broken just because of a few thousand rupees and its sad that instead of the marital happiness and the partnership of life, we give preference to dowry and other things but its not all about weddings...everything we do is nowadays artificial... how many wicked and decietful thoughts are present behind that innocent smile which we invariably display on every occasion...

    perhaps i have been distracted by the post...

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Suma: Thanks dear:-) Hope you are fine:)

    @Israr: Glad that you are distracted by the post! The rebel in you always speaks so eloquently on social matters! Thanks for your views! Regards:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Came here from Fiona...nice blog Nasnin. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. distractions keep you living in moment until next time reality sinks.

    Nice blogging :)

    ReplyDelete