Thursday, April 5, 2012

"In Me All That Fire is Repeated!"


There is an atmosphere of confession that’s slowly building up inside me. It rushes in with horns and teeth and claws, desecrating my beautiful holy heart. Heart of colour. Heart of improved true lies, readjusting itself from time to time.

I think of you
And then I think of me.
I want you to be like Keatsian lines
Intoxicating
Forgetting
Escaping
Sensual
Dense and light
I wanted you to be like that Ode
In which I have luxuriated numberless times
Aching and aching
Dying and dying
Waking and waking.

Toni Morrison and her The Bluest Eye. Pecola Breedlove and her desire for the bluest eye. Blue Blue Bluer Bluest eyes through which she can view the world which may love and stroke her. Pecola- the tired bird, the drooping girl, the wronged girl, the the black black girl. I wish the blue eyed Pecola could sleep for some time. And then I would sit beside you. Wake up only when your dream is over. And then you would describe it to me. The blues, the moonlight, the silvery air. I would like to mix my memories with yours, to mix my dreams with yours, to mix my love with yours.

Have you ever felt what it’s like to be speaking and never conveying? Have you ever felt what it’s like to be belonged and never belonging? Have you ever been in someone’s eyes, look the same and look different? Have you ever been loved and not yet loved? “ What did love feel like?”  Why are you so certain of a hurt to be hurt and not certain of a love to be a love? Or is it implicit in the hurt itself? 

“Love is never any better than the lover. Wicked people love wickedly, violent people love violently, weak people love weakly, stupid people love stupidly, but the love of a free man is never safe. There is no gift for the beloved. The lover alone possesses his gift of love. The loved one is shorn, nuetralized, frozen in the glare of the lover’s inward eye.” Do you want to love like a free man with no gift for the beloved. Or would you rather be wicked to love wickedly? Be violent? Be stupid? Be weak? Would rather be anyone of these or would you like to frozen your lover with the glare of your inward eye?

Someone told me that my articulation of thoughts here make me look all the more foolish and that one should learn to cover one’s weaknesses rather than exhibiting it with an eloquence which will create an identity that I may not desire. Identities! You seek for it. One way or other you go for it. I wish to come back here to echo my immutable thoughts so that I could avoid some personal differences and fractures by throwing it right away at some of the close gazes. Here there is anonymity even in identities. Safe and excusable to an extend. Yet I demonize some of the bare truths and questions- as if their renderings may be as shameful as being naked. In Frued’s way though I wish to free play my Id here, I still have to bow down to my Ego…No! Don’t do it! Or if you do, do it with Innuendos and clever sophistication or use your innate appetite for metaphors, only to structure it as faint and vague.

“Do you fear to speak truthfully?”

Some times I feel like I am the Holden in Salinger’s imagination of Catcher in the Rye. Oh Please catch those little ones who are about to stumble from the cliff, who are about to fall apart and smash their heads on adult phoniness! Catch them! Save them! “So young and so true!”

I readjust myself and see my reflection on the window glass. What are you writing? Thoughts, I guess?
Do you still believe in the illusion that you feel better after you scartch these letters here? Scratch on your reflection dear, so that the changes won’t be marked. You fear change!

Where is Pecola? Let me not think about fear and change. Let me think about Pecola’s blue eyes. Let me think about the unfavouring earth and marigolds that never spring because Pecola was carrying. Let me think about you. Your blackness and your madness. Let me hide behind you little girl. “We were so beautiful when we stood astride her ugliness”

“We substituted good grammar for intellect; we switched habits to simulate maturity; we rearranged lies to call it truth, seeing in the new pattern of an old idea the Revelation and the Word.”

 Everything in italics are strictly quotes!

8 comments:

  1. Nasneen you always return with a bang! The good thing about writing is that it conveys what heart feels unlike silence which can be interpreted any way:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You obviously don't need me to tell you how hauntingly beautiful this is... This was unusually rhetorical though, and to sit down and tackle all the questions, would be an exercise in futility !
    There were some thoughts that seemed to jump out of the screen and I am not exaggerating when I say that I was clearly expecting them to be there; like "Why are you so certain of a hurt to be hurt and not certain of a love to be a love? " and " Here there is anonymity even in identities. "
    I will definitely be returning to read this particular post again and again, and I'm sure my interpretations will evolve with each reading - which, incidentally, speaks volumes about your writing !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The caption speaks volumes, that Neruda feel!
    So brilliantly you have brought in all that , dear Nasnin, making a cocktail with Pecola and your heart to heart soliloquys as the toppings. Oh My ! loving the wicked way, and loving like a free man.. amazing! I am just spellbound with all this intricately woven ‘heavy’ matter.. it just knocks on some tender nerves and sends shivers throughtout.. it is like heart and brain equally stimulated.. loved it.
    You made me go to Catcher in the Rye and The Bluest Eye, so that I could appreciate your words, to its core.. and being able to blend with your thoughts, is worth anything, I tell you..
    Each one has a way of expressing, the metaphors you adorn add to the truthfulness of your thoughts and make them beautiful.. But somehow, Pecola shouldn’t be a cover over your innate ‘fire’, which if repeated will elevate you more to beauty and nothing but beauty! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazingly beautiful... i came here to check if everything was alright as long time and you are absent from blog :( but i am glad i found you alive here :) yes i fear to speak the truth :P

    have a nice week ahead... keep writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just go through the post. Really nice. Thank you for sharing.


    ERP Software Vadodara

    ReplyDelete
  6. powerful words, especially the rearranging of truth part
    +followed

    ReplyDelete
  7. i feel like your blog is in hibernation?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too long since you didn't post, I see. But this gave me a chance to read this post and I am glad I did. Sigh, you beautiful writer.

    ReplyDelete