Saturday, January 7, 2012

It's for Its Own Sake!


 The day is empty. A typical Saturday idleness. I play with the pillows and try to hold on to one after another- Moby Dick, Huckleberry Finn, Whitman or Poe, Sylvia Plath or Frost- anything which can mask this emptiness. Anything which can give life to this very day. And I try to cover half of The Glass Menagerie.The house is acting as if I am an uninvited stranger sitting in some corner and reading a magazine. There is clatter from the kitchen, slushing of water from the shower, sounds so familiar and air so seen yet unseen. Laura Wingfield and her glass menagerie. Her crippleness and her shyness. Her fragility and her fantasies. Laura….and her glass menagerie! I wish it was I who could dance with Laura. I wish it was I who would call her Blue Rose. (Please give undue stress to the single diphthong in the one letter word “I”)  She would have had a wonderful time with me.  And I am tired of this victimization of characters. They crash and burn all alone in American dramas. Too much of expressionism for expressing negativity and its dimensions in life. Their incapacity to be in reality overwhelms my capacity to be realistic and practical. Tom, Amanda and Laura- their inability for connectivity is so transparent that I am forced to think over it disturbingly after every narration Tom make from his memory.  And the text is not moving steadily, I am in stagnation. It seems everything is flowing back too much to Amanda’s past or flowing out too much to Tom’s future or hanging loosely so high in Laura’s other world! And I didn’t want to touch the critical appreciation part since it’ll remind me that it is of the syllabus and I am not suppose to “read” the text,  but just to know the summary and have a superficial study to jot down some points!  Superficial study! How shameful for these characters! I wish they would come out of these printed papers and slap us!

Every day she calls and says of things missing and things lost. How she is not in ease with the recent dislocations and how she is paying for her lack of culinary skills! Everyday she talks about the need for change and her blurring ability for conversations and her “useless” withdrawals. And the last time she kept the phone it was with a bang, with a shaken voice from the other end- “I thought at least YOU would understand!” (Her “you” was drawled but sounded beautiful) And I was thinking about how useless is her drawl in the YOU there, same as that of her useless withdrawals! I wanted it to connect it with a Gautier quote (though I wouldn’t dare to do it in her presence!) Nothing is truly beautiful unless it cannot be used for anything; everything that is useful is ugly because it is the expression of some need, and those of man are ignoble and disgusting, like his poor and infirm nature. Human beings of poor and infirm nature…are not aware that useful is ugly and beautiful is useless. Always there is this unconscious inner craving for beauty. Someone can’t tolerate a misplacement of things on the table, a stain on the carpet, a bend of the furniture- we scream at ugliness and throb and throb for beauty! Beautiful faces, beautiful places, beautiful words, beautiful world! Everything should be beautiful! And useful! How paradoxical! Can “beautifully useful” be an oxymoron?

Gautier wanted to defend the “art for art's sake” by the useful and beautiful dilemma! And so words here are for their own sake. There is no purpose. Non- utilitarian. How comfortable!  This gives a justification for my incoherent, dissipated, disconnected writing here. It gives a justification for my decision to post it here. (The secret behind the decision is actually to avoid the dormancy of this blog). And it’s much effortless if the head is an "unweeded garden" full of “things rank and gross in nature possessing it merely".  If someone asks me what am I writing I would say “words words words”. And if someone asks you, what are you reading? , just say “words, words, words”. (That’s what Hamlet said, but he was mad or pretended to be mad. But often there is very little difference between the two). I always misunderstand that there are certain things vital to my survival. And it will take me sometime to realize that they are not. Not at all vital, not even the last thing needed for my survival. The mind rejects the idea first and there will be vehement argumentation and trails to show that it’s not the case. And before the final surrender a sense of “nothing to lose” put out my exhaustion. This “nothing to lose” comes from “nothing to gain”- it was for its own sake :)







13 comments:

  1. " Everything should be beautiful! And useful! How paradoxical! Can “beautifully useful” be an oxymoron? "

    You scribbled some gems here lady !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dexterity in play of words, thy name is Nasnin! A thin line separates madness from being truly passionate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rahul Sir...Sitting and playing with pillow, how come I not find such profound words. Saturday afternoon is same yet I fail to churn such live characters...

    Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words Words and Words! Beautiful and unique, though!!! Harnessing the reader to the travails of your mind... Uncover the syllabus dear and plunge into the beauty!

    Nothing to gain/lose dictum is the stem cell of creativity, lest the words turn out to be usefully ugly, like a descriptive essay.. very useful and informative... but what use to a seeker of beauty?
    I do not love you for the ‘usefulness’, but the beauty of your words!

    Nothing is vital.. not even the judgments dear.. Do it for its sake and I am a selfish reader.. I would want you to be utterly ‘useless’ and dashingly beautiful! Dormancy of this blog is the last thing I would need!
    Love , love and love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This blog should never be dormant Nasnin... It should always brim with words and thoughts :)

    'Beautifully useful' is an oxymoron.. Hahahaa!
    Take care..

    Cheers,
    Anand
    Life's like that

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Someone can’t tolerate a misplacement of things on the table, a stain on the carpet, a bend of the furniture- "

    I chuckled at this because I know some people have this sort of OCD. Come to think of it, I have my own OCD moments too! ;)

    "we scream at ugliness and throb and throb for beauty! Beautiful faces, beautiful places, beautiful words, beautiful world! Everything should be beautiful! And useful! How paradoxical! Can “beautifully useful” be an oxymoron?"

    Again, you create words and thoughts that are so profound and unique to YOU! Yes, definitely an oxymoron! *big grins*

    Most of my beautiful 'things' sit there looking 'beautiful' and have no other purpose. If they do have a purpose, I purchase something similar that is not as beautiful, so I won't care if it gets messed up. How crazy is that?!! I'm beginning to do some self-introspection here and thinking that I'm more insane than I previously thought I was ha ha!

    Brilliant writing as always, my dear Nasnin! Much Love :-)

    P.S. ~ loved the Hamlet quote near the end! Made me chuckle too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sadaf: Thanks dear! Much delighted:)

    @Rahul Bhatia: Thanks a ton for thy compliment:) Regards:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Saru: Thanks dear...For me too it's difficult to churn such characters in such afternoons...but they help me to churn the tardiness of time:)

    @Pygma: It's that selfish reader in you that captivates me more:) A reader should be selfish! And I am ready to be utterly useless to be dashingly beautiful for you so that I can get your dashingly beautiful comments:) Love,love and love:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Anand: Thanks Anand! Your words always brim with energy and inspiration:) I don't ever desire the dormancy of this page...would always try to distract you all:) Regards:)

    @Fiona: "I'm more insane than I previously thought I was"....he he he...you must be insane Fiona...only insane people can create such good poetry as you create:) Love and regards Poetry Princess:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved it, for so many reason !
    Even though I haven't read the The Glass Menagerie, I liked this piece for it's own sake :)
    The way you drew attention to the 'I' and 'You', and the paradox of being useful and beautiful, as well as your use of the justification of 'art for art's sake' for this post - I would take off my hat to that, if I were not afraid of showering you in spiders !

    ReplyDelete
  11. You comment so rarely....and whenever you do, it's a gem! A kind of happiness with a full bloom smile is brought with it! And its wonderful to read you! Thanks a lot:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. first i say sorry for missing such a wonderful post..and missing YOUR post is like a cardinal sin...

    i find it hard to be on bloggers these days as i dont have a full time internet here.. :(


    i read your words, words, words.. and i want to read more of these... soothing to the eyes...comforting to the mind... :) and finally we found the reason for your absence from blogger..hmmm... i think you should come back and write at least once a week :) i agree with you... there is nothing except oxygen (and your blog :P ) which is vital for life... just we are addicted to something and when it is not available life moves on...

    ReplyDelete
  13. He he...You are too kind Israr....! I would try my best not to miss my blogger attendance professor! And that "Cardinal sin" and "oxygen" and "my page"... You are "The kind devil" out of the khali khopri! Thanks for all these encouragements:) Regards:)

    ReplyDelete