Wednesday, January 12, 2011

MY EMPTY THEATRE

My grandmother took me in her arms,
When I was small,
She lulled me, made me smile
Flowered my tender cheeks
She listened to my absurdities
Coped with my anger, my violence.
And later when my skin hardened
When my fingers lengthened
When my eyes widened
When I learned to see the moon alone
I turned my face away from her.
“You won’t understand”, I said.
And then the face of my grand father
faded and faded since his death
His long face, his silvery hair,
His kisses of love on my forehead
All went into air with him.
My love was always invisible
I always had the stage to perform
The right co-actors were ready.
But I didn’t Know how to act
Rather I denied to act.
And so my theatre was still
Never reverberated with applauses
My theatre was empty.
And then one day
I saw my grandfather
Sitting in one of the seats
Asking me to perform
“Which role?” , I asked
“Shakespeare’s Ophilia”, he said
“I don’t deserve Ophilia’s innocence,
I don’t deserve Ophilia’s heart of love
I can’t play her
I am too small for that”, I cried
And then he came towards me
Kissed me on my forehead
Stroked my hair with his long fingers
Ah! That touch of love he used to give me…
I smiled with ecstasy
Kissed his long strong hands.
And when I woke up
I was in the lap of my grandmother
Who was wondering at my kiss to her
After those long years.
Her wrinkled face bore tears
I told myself
“Your tears flowed from my river!”

1 comment: