Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Definitions...

I am already defined by the externals where I myself fumble for definitions to define me. I have often thought of definitions as a string of scrupulously formed “construct” which acts as an ideal to where you are instructed to trek so that you can fit into the images carved by these definitions (I am talking about definitions of abstract aspects of life, not the precise scientific definitions). Blend in the images or you are a great misfit, a disdained menace for that perfect balance. I have read somewhere that we have a proclivity for image formations…an image about a friend, an image about parents, siblings… an image wrought out by all our ugly biases and preoccupations about every single human soul we meet and they in turn will have there own images…and it’s with these images that we have relationship and not with the persons as they are. A bond between images…you relate to images and images only…and that’s why we crave for a perfect image…an image according to the “definition”…and in the midst of the interior scrambling to get into that image the quintessence of you will be in vapours. I don’t know how far that idea parallels itself to reality…but yes there are “definitions” and “images” sculptured into the conscience.
 

 Definitions become a jest when I try to define even the preliminaries of  what makes the "me" since definitions demand minimalism in words for definitions are not "explanations"...well the "me" may be a comfortably formed gist of all the integrated "images" of  the "me" reflected from the "past me". My friend once defined me as someone between a Nora (a submissive woman protagonist in Ibsen's play Doll's House) and an Antigone (the brave rebellious self willed girl of the Sophoclean Greek Tragedy). What she meant was that she always think of me as someone who's neither a typical Nora nor an Antigone but a complex mixture of both the traits. We usually try to associate people with a particular character that we have gone through in fictions. Identifying myself with the characters is a sound technique since characters can be defined with a certain objectivity and there by there may be a chance of sudden epiphany like effect of your realization of "self" with the characters. But I feel even characters cannot be defined...characters are not destitute of complexities and complexities need explications, not definitions...and people are beyond definitions just like abstract elements. But why do we often fail to acknowledge that they are not just images which we have formed in our petty minds with all our wretched preconceptions, but entities something beyond that images?... entities with a turbulent ocean bearing in their hearts..."each human being is a legend" as some writer said...with all their beauty, cruelty, love, aversions, hurts and complexes (we are not saints of-course) I use to feel that there is a wave untouched and unrecognized and unappreciated in each oceanic soul and appreciations have only a faded flush when we forget to appreciate what really should be appreciated. Images limit people and limit the relations chaining it in superficiality !


5 comments:

  1. Defining someone is like molding them in a fixed shape which is not right. We change on daily basis and experiences of our lives brings distinct changes on our thought process as well. Also, there are hardly 2-3 people who know us truly. So, as you said we have oceanic souls...

    ReplyDelete
  2. define and u confine it.. yet makes it less vague.. originality is the martyr though..
    Images and set standards kills my soul.. let me just break free and soar high!
    nasnin u provoked many a thoughts and well written, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Saru dear: Yup! Thanks dear...keep coming:-)

    @Pygma dear: Yeah...definitions are quelling me too...and as you said "originality is the martyr"...thanks dear:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey.. I may sound unreal here.. but that is so what I feel too..! similar :) WOW.. the way u write is nice!! I kept ur post to be read at last.. u knw.. so that I can savour it..:) loved it dear...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thanks dear...thanks a lot....very encouraging...feels so happy:-)

    ReplyDelete